The Best Electric Wheelchair In 2021
When suffering from limited mobility, there are many challenges you’re faced with, including reaching the places you need to go. One of the best solutions for this is getting a great wheelchair for your needs. If you identify the right wheelchair for you, such as the best electric wheelchair, you will enjoy the independence you need to go shopping, to appointments and much more. The cheapest electric wheelchairs are not only easy to use but most of them can also fold, thus making them easy to travel with. Designed with a motor, you can easily travel with an electric wheelchair for sale.
Are you looking for a great electric wheelchair bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying electric wheelchair products, please click here.
As compared to manual wheelchairs, mobility electric wheelchairs don’t require you to move them using your hand. Most of them also come with rechargeable batteries that will ensure the unit is always charged whenever you need to use it. These wheelchairs also include a variety of other features and vary in their prices based on the features and design that they have. Getting the best electric wheelchair can, therefore, give you an opportunity to enjoy greater independence as compared to the manual one. If you are shopping for the perfect indoor electric wheelchair or quickie electric wheelchair, click here to read our in-depth review about them.
Benefits of electric wheelchairs
If you are interested in upgrading from manual wheelchair to a small electric wheelchair and electric wheelchair for disabled, you must have been in interested in the benefits that these wheelchairs have over their manual counterparts. If you are looking for your first chair there are some reasons why you would want to try out one. Here are some of the main benefits that you’ll enjoy in using the best electric wheelchair, jazzy electric wheelchair or small lightweight electric wheelchair.
• They are easy to move. Unlike the self-propelled wheelchairs, a lightweight portable electric wheelchair will provide you with better maneuverability. Coming with tighter turning circles, you can easily navigate through small areas such as narrow path and indoors. This will also make it easier for you to navigate around obstacles that you may meet along the way.
• They are electrically powered. Although this might seem obvious, one of the main advantages of mobile electric wheelchairs is that they have small motors. This not only makes it easier to move the chair but it does not also require upper body strength. Hence is the ideal for those who have limited arm/ and movement. Instead of pushing the wheelchair manually, for steering and propulsion, you have a conveniently fitted button or joystick that will enable you to move forward, backward and sideways. The only drawback is that you’ll need to charge the battery once in a while.
• You can use it to pass difficult inclines and terrains. If you are likely to be moving across a difficult terrain then lightest electric wheelchair or fastest electric wheelchair is the perfect option. Designed for outdoor exploring, these wheelchairs are fitted with enough power and larger tires that will allow you to get over the hurdles that you may meet along the way. As a matter of fact, there are also outdoor models that will allow you to venture over most tracks. They also come with suspension that makes the movement even much easier. As compared to a manual wheelchair that becomes difficult to use when on an incline or hill, the best handicap electric wheelchair does not require substantial upper body strength to climb the hill.
• They have adjustable heights. One of the biggest disadvantages of manual wheelchairs is that you are always at the same height. However, with the best compact electric wheelchair, it doesn’t matter whether you want to sit at a lower dining table or reach a higher self in the supermarket as you can always adjust the height. With just a push of a button, you can always change the height with a lot of ease.
• Superior support. As a wheelchair user, one of the most important requirements is feeling supported on your wheelchair. Since there is less movement needed you’ll enjoy better support and comfort for your legs, arms, head, and body. Getting better support will not only ensure that you are safe but also comfortable as well.
• Ideal for children. Since children have shorter arms and reduced upper body strength, using a manual wheelchair can be a bit difficult. The power in electric wheelchair UK or reclining electric wheelchair will allow them to move about without putting any more strain on their bodies. Since it allows the child to sit higher than they could have done on other models they area also bit superior.
• Motability electric wheelchairs are easy to stop. Once a manual wheelchair starts rolling, stopping it can be a bit hard. On the contrary, an electric wheelchair can be stopped or even slowed down with just the movement of the joy stick. The power that makes it move is also one of the things that will allow it to stop.
• They are stronger. Weight can be one of the most difficult aspects of collapsible electric wheelchair especially if you want to move with them from one place to the next. However, that weight can also be advantageous. Since their center of gravity is lower as compared to the manual wheelchair, they are more difficult to tip over. This means they are more solid when it comes to side to side or front to back tipping.
• They provide consistent power. If you are using a manual wheelchair, you and the person who’s pushing you must take into account the trip back to the starting point. This means even if you have a lot of energy at the beginning you can easily get tired if you are constantly moving the wheelchair. And before long you’ll find yourself too tired to even move the wheelchair. On the other hand, small electric wheelchairs for sale have constant power. Provided the battery is charged, you can use it to move easily from one place to the next with a lot of ease.
Types of electric wheelchairs
If you need to stay on your wheelchair for long then an electric wheelchair is the best option for you. However, since there is a variety of them in the market, you need to know the one that you are looking for. Here are the main types of electric wheelchairs that you need to consider.
Travel power electric wheelchairs
These are perhaps the smallest and the lightest electric wheelchairs currently in the market. Coming with turning radius, these wheelchairs can be used in well tight places and are made in such a way that they are transport friendly. As compared to other wheelchairs, they can also be disassembled into a few lightweight pieces to make them easy to move from one place to another.
This type of electric wheelchair works best in the following places fairly smooth surfaces such as sidewalks or inside stores and indoors. Due to their compact size and reduced weight, they are suitable to be used by those who are 6 feet or less and 250 pounds or less. They are also the least expensive as compared to all the other electric wheelchairs in the market.
Full-sized power chairs
Full-sized electric wheelchairs are more complex and much larger than the travel electric wheelchairs. Also, as compared to other electric wheelchairs they are more comfortable. They are also available in a range of options and prices to suit your budget and needs and always feature extremely customizable options in areas such as the size and the height.
Since they are run on very powerful batteries, they can take you wherever you want to go without any issues. Plus, they have upgraded seats if you are looking for some luxury and some of them even have options such as all-terrain tires if you think you might use then in unpaved areas. Although they have a weight capacity of around 300 pounds, they can go up to 400 pounds. Perfect for all-day, everyday usage and with a fantastic range of prices and options they are the best one if you are looking for the perfect electric wheelchair.
Heavy-duty electric wheelchairs
These types of electric wheelchairs usually incorporate some of the best qualities of full-sized electric wheelchairs that have been upgraded and reinforced with frames and, batteries and motors. These wheelchairs will not only provide you with optional performance but have also been made with the higher weight customers in mind. You will also realize that some models have been designed to be used in icy or unpaved terrain. Since their extra weight means that they are safe and stable, they are a bit costly as compared to other wheelchairs.
Custom-built electric wheelchairs
Regardless of where you are, there are also dealers who can create for you an electric wheelchair depending on your needs. Custom-built electric wheelchairs are built with various modifications and adaptations to ensure that they are easy to use. Since they’ve been developed using advanced technology, even if you have a very limited movement you’ll definitely find the one that suits you. If you need one you can always contact the dealers who will design one for you.
Power wheelchair user tips
If you want to make the use of your electric wheelchair easier, here are some of the tips to help you.
• To ensure that you enjoy full use your wheelchair the following day it’s important that you fully charge your battery the previous night.
• Electric wheelchair batteries that are used a lot have a longer lifespan as compared to the ones that do not so ensure that your wheelchair does not sit for long during the day.
• Even if you are not regularly using your electric wheelchair, you need to ensure that you regularly change the battery to ensure that they remain in good working condition.
• To ease your rolling you need to keep the air-inflated tires fully inflated. This will also increase the time that’s needed to recharge the batteries, maximize mileage and also maximize tire and tube lifespan.
• If your power wheelchair stops working for any reason the brakes will immediately disengage.
• Make sure you review the electric wheelchairs’ manual. For you to know how to best use your electric wheelchair, you need to take your time and carefully review the wheelchair. This will ensure that you are completely confident and comfortable while using your wheelchair.
• Turn off the power. When your electric wheelchair is not in use, ensure that you turn off the power. When transferring into and out of your electric wheelchair you need to ensure that the power is off.
• Always fasten your electric wheelchair belt. Before you start to operate your electric wheelchair ensure that you fasten your seat belt. This is very important for safe electric wheelchair use and is also meant to protect you against any serious injury or accidental fall that might occur.
• Practice preventive maintenance. Now that you can move again do not lose your mobility. Always ensue that your electric wheelchair is in good working condition with monthly inspections and preventive maintenance. Also, make sure that your wheelchair stays clean, dry and free from any dust build-up.
Check out today’s top 10 electric wheelchair deals below…
Top tips for buying the best electric wheelchair
There are several factors that will affect the performance of an electric wheelchair. So before making any purchase it’s very important to consider these factors. Here are some of the tips to help you buy the best electric wheelchair.
• Drive wheel configuration. Although there are three main wheel options of electric wheelchairs, most people prefer the drive wheel configuration. Apart from the fact that they can do a complete 360-degree turn, they have good traction and can maneuver better and very stable.
• Top speed. Different models come with different speed levels. However, it’s recommended to choose one that can give you a speed of up to five miles per hour. This will not only allow you to reduce the travel time but is also a clear advantage for anyone with mobility limitations.
• Distance. This shows the distance that the wheelchair is capable of covering when fully charged. This may also mean how long the battery can last when fully charged. It’s important that the device that you choose to be able to overcome at lowest 15 miles when fully charged.
• Weight. This refers to the total amount of weight that the device can comfortably support. Generally, if you are an average user, you should choose models that can support around 300 pounds. The chair that you chose should also be able to carry a minimum of 15 kilograms. This will not only provide you with the stability that you need but will also ensure safety.
• Adjustable. Since you’ll need to adjust the wheelchair once in a while you need to choose one that comes with several adjustable features.
Getting the best electric wheelchair is actually a matter of finding the best- that’s one that not only fits your lifestyle and body but also gives you the kind of independence that you need. The best electric wheelchair will allow you to travel in speed and comfort without making you tired along the way. This means you’ll manage to go further on your own. If you are looking for the best electric wheelchair, it’s a handy tip to keep any that you find inside a basket so you can review later.