The Best Microphone Stands In 2020
Whether you’re performing with live instruments, recording music in a studio, producing web content or reading a speech, you need to install the best microphone stands. Microphone stands are normally quite simple to work. They ensure your microphones are held steadily so that you can just concentrate on what you are doing.
Are you looking for a great microphone stands bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying microphone stands, please click here.
From arm stands that you can attach to your desk, to boom stands that have an extension, there are several styles and microphone stands that you can use. Ir,respect,ive of the type of microphone stand that you are looking for there are some features that you need to look for. If you are looking for the best microphone stands, click here to read out a detailed review.
Types of microphone stands
Generally, there are two major types of microphone stands, namely the stick and the boom. The stick is where the stand consists of a base with a tall stand in the middle where the microphone sticks into. On the other hand, the boom stand is where stick stand has another poll attached at the top. A boom microphone stand is ideal for piano players or anyone who requires some breathing room for the instrument or anyone who needs amplification that’s not easily mic’d in any other way.
Just like the stands, there are two major types of used microphone stands bases, namely the round and the tripod base. As compared to the round bases, the tripod microphone stand bases are light and easy to move around. However, if you are using a boom stand where a lot of weight is located such that the microphones center of gravity has been offset, the round base microphone bottom may solve the problem. The microphone stands are also further divided into different categories.
Different categories of microphone stands
The six major categories of microphones stand includes
1. Tripod stands. As the most common types of used microphone stand for sale, tripod stands are always meant for the general use.
2. Tripod boom stands. As compared to the general tripod microphone stands, tripod boom microphone stands provides a longer reach.
3. Round base microphone stands. Apart from using less floor space, these kind of stands are harder to trip over. They are, therefore, ideal for singers.
4. Low profile microphone stands. This kind of microphone stands are commonly used by drummers and guitarists.
5. Overhead microphone stands. As compared to all the available microphone stands, these are perhaps the most expensive and the largest. They are normally used when extreme angles and heights are needed.
6. Desktop microphone stands. These kinds of microphone stands are the same as low profile stands but are intended more for bedroom recording and podcasting.
Things to watch out when setting up a microphone stand
• Make sure you position the boom directly above one of the legs stands. This will prevent the microphone stand from tipping over.
• Avoid wrapping the lead many times around the stand as this will do nothing except making your life difficult
• Avoid standing on the legs of the best microphone stand as you may end up destroying them.
• Do not over tighten the stands. Just tighten them enough. Also, do not adjust them while they are still tightened. Untighten them first.
Why you should not buy cheap microphone stands for sale
If you are an experienced musician, then you know that cheap microphone stands are not the best to buy. Although a beginner musician is not aware of this, they need to be very careful and avoid buying cheap microphone stands. By why should you avoid buying cheap microphone stands? Well, although cheaper microphone stands can work great, they are known for their wobbling and less supportive abilities. Here are some key issues that you may face with cheap microphone stands
• Cheap microphone stands are likely to fall over. Although buying custom microphone stands or good microphone stands might seem like a waste of money, it’s one of the best investments, especially if you are looking or something that you can use throughout your lifetime.
• Cheap microphone stands can be hard to position. Since their extension poles can be awkward and still positioning them can be a bit hard. More so, they can be very rigid to move, and if you force them, they may end up falling over. Plus, most of them may be unable to move in certain directions, thus rendering them inflexible.
• Cheap microphones stand knobs tend to break. This is also another common problem with buying cheap microphone stands. When you tighten their knobs too much, they are likely to break.
• Even after tightening them, they might still be loose. Even after tightening the cheap microphones stands knobs they will still move. This is the reason why you should not use your expensive microphones in such kinds of cheap microphone stands.
What type of microphone stands is suitable for you?
If you intend to use the stand majorly for a solo vocal performance, then solid base stand is ideal for this purpose. However, if you intend to use the best for musical instruments, then you need to buy a tripod microphone stand that you can widen for better weight holding capacity. As a matter of fact, the solid base microphone stands are not ideal to be used in situations where you still need to extend the boom arm far from the main stand. This is because the center might not be able to support the weight of the set up that’s has been brought about by the extended arm.
As compared to the solid base microphone stands, the tripod microphone stands are suitable for heavier microphones that require longer boom arm extension. This is because you can get wide the tripod legs to make the center platform even stronger to hold those more massive microphone set ups. Plus you can extend the tripod stands and fit into any floor space that you have.
The most common microphone stands accessories
From counter weights to boom arms, there are countless microphone accessories available in the market today. Here are some of the most important microphone stands accessories.
If you are a podcaster, then you need the best boom arms. They are ideal if you want to move around your desk while recording or if you want to manage the sound effects.
If you want to save your music recordings from unfixable explosives, then you need to buy microphone stand with pop filters.
Stereo bars are the type of bars that will allow you to put two or more microphones on one stand. Although some are simple, others have precision measurement tools that will allow you to position microphones at specific angles and distances.
If you need to regularly switch off your microphones, then you may need microphone stands with quick release adapters. With stands that have compatible quick release adapters, swapping out your microphones becomes a breeze.
Even though this is often an overlooked unique microphone stands accessory, goosenecks can make it easy for you to position your microphones. Coming in a variety of lengths, you can use a good gooseneck to handle the weight of an average microphone.
Although DR microphone stands may be simple, carrying many of them at ago may be a bit difficult. It’s, therefore, important to have carry bags that you can use to carry them, especially if you are regularly moving from one place to another. Carry bags will also ensure that they are protected during transit.
Check out today’s top 10 microphone stands deals below…
Tips for buying the best microphone stands
• Types of microphone stands and accessories. Since there is a variety of microphone stands in the market, it’s very important to choose one that will serve you well. If you make the wrong choice, then you might end up affecting your performance. You, therefore, need to know the type of stand that you need.
• Flexibility. Considering flexibility is very important, especially if you are going to use the microphone stand for different occasions. It’s important to choose a stand that can easily be mounted on any surface. Also, it should be portable and collapsible. Another thing to consider is the flexibility of the best microphone stands.
• Location. If you intend to use the microphone stands for live stage performances or band gigs then you need to choose durable, high end portable heavy duty stands. However, if you are just planning to use it at home where you rarely set them up and tear them down, simple, affordable ones will suffice.
• Intended use. Different microphones stands are meant to be used in different ways. So, ensure that you get one that’s intended for your use. If possible go for multipurpose microphone stand that you can always use on different occasions.
• Durability. Just as with most gears, durability is something that you need to consider when it comes to buying the best microphone stands. You don’t want to spend a fortune on microphone stand only for it to break down even before you start enjoying using it.
• Budget. When it comes to buying the best microphone stands, it’s also very important to consider the amount of money that you are ready to spend on it. Although you should not spend alt of money if you are just starting, it’s very important to choose a quality microphone stand as this will be less costly in the long run.
• Accessories. Accessories are just the things that will come with the best colored microphone stands. Depending on your preference you may expect to see the best microphone stands come with additional things such as pop filters, mount clamps, phone holders, and microphone holders.
• Balance. If you are looking for more control, you need to choose a microphone stands that can balance well. This will ensure that you enjoy the performance.
• Clamp and clutch strength. When you put your microphone where it should be some cheap microphone stands may either drop or sag. This might end up ruining your performance or recording session. Although this may not happen when they are brand new, it may occur after along extended use of the microphone. To avoid this, you need to buy high-quality microphone stands.
If you are shopping for the best microphone stands and you come across a good one, it’s advisable that you keep it in the basket so you can review later. This will ultimately make you end up with the best stands.